Traveling as a Pumping Mother

7497500748_5f37df32aa_bBy Nicole Goodman

One of the biggest challenges working mothers face is traveling away from their babies while they’re still breastfeeding. Pumping while on the road – or in the air – can be inconvenient, uncomfortable, and downright unpleasant, but many mothers find that is it worth it so they can continue breastfeeding.

Here are some hints to help you prepare for trips away from your little one. Working mothers going on a business trip or those that stay at home getting away for a weekend can benefit from planning ahead.

Supplies Checklist

Pumping while traveling requires some additional supplies that you may not need when you’re at home:

• Batttery pack & fresh batteries – Make sure your battery pack works BEFORE leaving and load your pack with fresh batteries.
  • Extra batteries – Depending on length of your trip, it’s always a good idea to carry an extra set of batteries. Remember to keep batteries with your carry-on luggage to avoid any problems with checked luggage.
  • Convertor/adapter – If you are traveling internationally, make sure to pack the appropriate power convertor/adapter plug so that the pump will work at your final destination.
  • Milk storage bags/containers – If you plan to bring milk home after the trip, make sure to pack plenty of storage bags. I like the Medical-Grade, Pre-Sterilized Plastic Storage Bags. Freeze them flat so you can stack them up on the return trip.
  • Ice or cold packs – Especially for long or multi-segment flights, ice or cold packs will help keep milk frozen on the return trip. Some thawing may occur, so put the milk into the freezer as soon as possible. Use the milk pumped on a trip as soon as possible after you return.
  • Cleaning supplies – I LOVE the microwave disinfecting bags. You might not always have access to a place to scrub pump parts while traveling, but most hotel rooms and offices have a microwave. Throw everything into these bags, pop into microwave for 3 minutes, and everything is sterile for their next use.
  • Power cord, tubing, membranes, breast shields & pump parts – A breast pump won’t do you any good if you don’t have all of the essential parts with you! Pack a few extra pump membranes, just in case.
  • Hand sanitizer – It’s always a good idea to pack a little (3 oz or less) bottle of hand sanitizer in your carry-on.

Pack Smart

If you can fit a pump into your small rollerboard suitcase, great! Otherwise, you’ll need to check your suitcase and keep your computer bag/purse and pump as carry-on items.

Do NOT check a breast pump in a suitcase or as a stand alone item. Travel delays happen all the time; luggage gets damaged or lost. The last thing you need is to end up at your destination without your pump!

Be Security Savvy

In the United States, pumping mothers are permitted to travel with breast pumps and breast milk, regardless of whether or not they are traveling with their children. If a security agent says otherwise, ask to speak to a supervisor.

To make the security process as smooth as possible, you should alert the security officers so they know you are traveling with a pump:

• Pull the pump out of your carry-on bag and place it in a separate bin before it goes through the x-ray machine. Tell the agent that the item is a breast pump.
  • If returning from a trip and carrying breastmilk, place the milk in a separate bin and alert the agents that the liquid is breastmilk. Breastmilk is NOT subject to the three-ounce limitation.
  • If a security agent asks to test the milk, ask to speak to a supervisor. They may want to swab the outside of the milk bags or containers, but they cannot make you open your milk and test it.

A mother may be asked to go through additional screening. I’ve had my pump searched and swabbed and I’ve also been subjected to a pat down. Be prepared for either scenario.

Pumping en Route

Sometimes it’s necessary to pump before you reach your final destination. Because I fly in and out of a small airport, I always have to make at least one connection, which can make for a long travel day. Most major airports have family bathrooms with electrical outlets and they are a great place to pump. On longer or international flights, you may need to pump in your seat or in the airplane bathroom. Ask the flight attendants if they can suggest a pumping location.

Well Worth the Effort!

Pumping while traveling presents some unique challenges, but it’s ultimately worth the extra effort. With a little planning, preparation and patience, you can maintain your milk production while you’re away from your little one and they will be ready to welcome you home at your breast.

You can find the TSA official guidelines for traveling with breastmilk HERE.

Nicole_GoodmanNicole Goodman is a full-time working mother who successfully nursed both of her daughters through their first 12 months. She had to go on many business trips while she was still nursing and has lots of funny stories about her experiences pumping & (sometimes) dumping. You can learn more on Nicole’s blog, Work in Sweats Mama.

This entry was posted in Breastfeeding Around the Globe and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Traveling as a Pumping Mother

1. Barbara Crotty says:

Dry ice would keep frozen milk frozen better than gel ice packs and way better than ice. TSA permits dry ice to be brought on board airplanes.

2. Pingback: Pump and Dump A Working Mom's Nightmare Work in Sweats Mama

3. Emily McGee says:

Great advice- especially the part about bringing the converter for the charger. Thanks for the link to the TSA guidelines too.

4. Leisa says:

I pumped right in my seat with a hands-free pumping bra and a breastfeeding cover! Also didn’t have any issues getting through security with the pump or breastmilk. They didn’t even make me take it out of the cooler I had it in (small insulated lunch bag sized). It was a total non-issue!

5. Pingback: A tire d'Ailes | La revue de presse d'A tire d'Ailes (29)

6. Pingback: 4 Things Breastfeeding Taught Me

7. Lauren says:

Any tips on what breast pump would be best for traveling internationally? Thanks!

8. Pingback: How to Pump On The Road & Transport Through The Airport: 36 hours in Chicago

9. MilkyMilky says:

Good to see some practical advice :-) Thankyou

10. Erin says:

I am travelling quite a long distance (~14 hours) and will be gone an entire week. For storage of milk on return, do you recommend a styrofoam container or ice chest to carry it? Do you think ice will keep it cold long enough? Obviously it has to be a carry-on, which is a problem if my pump is my carry on (I have a large medela symphony). I’m worried, I may just have to toss all of the milk that I pump. Any ideas? Thanks so much!

• I recommend calling the airline to see if they’ll allow an extra carry-on for your milk. I know I’ve traveled with a small suitcase, pump, and a tote of milk before, and it wasn’t a problem. An insulated container would be best. Do you have any layovers? You could switch out the ice during a layover to try and keep your milk frozen the entire trip home. Dry ice is also an option, but I know that can be difficult to arrange. On some of my longer trips, my milk was definitely starting to thaw out by the time I got home, but it was still mostly frozen. I put it in the freezer as soon as I walked in the door, and then I used that up first.

11. Thank you so much! This is really timely – I’m going on a business trip across the county and I’ll be gone for 1 week. You wrote that “If a security agent asks to test the milk, ask to speak to a supervisor. They may want to swab the outside of the milk bags or containers, but they cannot make you open your milk and test it.” Which made me more confident to speak up if this happened to me – my colleague just got back from a business trip and they made her take the lids off and they waved a strip (or something) over top of the OPEN milk bottles. She was furious. But, then I read on the TSA site that you linked to: “Officers may also ask you to open the container during the screening process.” Ugh.. Not good.

12. J says:

I recommend using the family/medical liquids lane at airport security if it is available and you are carrying milk. The TSA agents who work in that lane are much more up to speed on the rules for excepted liquids and are less likely to give you a hard time.

13. Pingback: Breastmilk Storage & Handling : KellyMom

14. Pingback: Links: Working & Pumping Tips : KellyMom

15. Stephanie says:

What have moms found as the best cooler for BM transport? I’m going to be away from my LO 5 days at a time and will be pumping and bringing this milk home to her each week. I have Medela bottles, but haven’t found a cooler that seems to fit these well for the volume I’m transporting. 18oz. A day.

• Lauren says:

Hi Stephanie, for the amount of BM, I’d say put the milk into bags (Medela is 5 oz a bag, I think there are bigger bags, too, but I’m not sure of the brand) for storage. You’ll have quite a bit! I usually put the bags into a ziploc baggie, too, for extra waterproof-ness. I think you’ll have an easier time fitting those into a cooler. Are you flying or driving while you’re away?
      Good luck!

16. Tiphanie says:

Hi, do you have any advice on storing frozen BM if there’s no freezer in hotel room? I am planning to be away to Melbourne for a week, but the hotel told me they had no freezer to loan. Permission to store in their kitchen freezer will need permission from Kitchen Chef, and I’m also worrying if my breastmilk will be contaminated using the kitchen freezer.

• Lynne says:

I’m in the same spot. Last time I traveled the hotel let me use their break room freezer. I’m staying at a Westin tonight and they’ll do nothing to help. There’s a mini fridge in the room, but it’s not cold enough to store food. So, I have my traveling cooler filled with ice trying to at least keep the milk refrigerated. It makes my blood boil.

I’d recommend Air B&B. Prices are usually cheaper than hotels, and you can negotiate freezer space. That’s what I think I’ll have to do here on out. I’m not going to pump and dump.

• Tiphanie says:

I have heard about Air B&B too, but as I’m tagging along with my husband who is going there for work, I am staying over at his hotel to save on accomodation cost. I’ll stock up on the gel ice packs. Hopefully the kitchen chef is kind enough to allow me to use a portion of their freezer.

• Erin says:

I went to work in American Samoa for 9 days. There are only 2 hotels on the island and only one kitchen freezer. They let me store my milk in there and I think it would have worked out great except for two things. 1) Make sure to tell them to store it in the BACK of the freezer so that everytime they open it up that your milk isn’t thawing. and 2) Make sure they aren’t “helpful” getting the milk out for you on the day you leave. Mine had all started to thaw before I even got to the airport. However, I found that if you have enough frozen milk, and a good styrofoam container, in addition to gel packs the milk itself acts like ice and keeps whatever milk is in the center frozen (even on a 14 hour flight). I would have tried dry ice, but there wasn’t any on the island.

• Tiphanie says:

Thanks for the tips when using the kitchen freezer Erin. I guess the worst case is I can bring home my last 2,3 days supply using styrofoam box with gel packs. (:

17. Lauren says:

I’ve actually successfully brought my pumped milk home, as long as it was refrigerated the whole time, for trips as long as 5 days. I’ve heard refrigerated milk will stay good for up to 7 days. Then you won’t be dumping all your precious goods!

• Tiphanie says:

wow! That’s good to hear! What about the ice packs? frozen? Did you use them to transport home?

• Lauren says:

I would bring ziplock baggies (I recommend double bagging so you don’t leak the water or milk!) and use the ice machine from the hotel to get them to the airport, and then when I had a chance go to a bar/restaurant for some fresh ice, and then I would also ask on the airplane depending on how long the flight is. Just keep it chilled the best you can! Best of luck, you’re doing great!!

18. rebecca says:

I am traveling to Jamaica for a wedding and will be away from my LO for 4 days (first time). I have the hospital grade rental pump (Medela–huge and heavy!) and am concerned about not having anywhere to plug in and pump. Would I be better served buying a manual pump, in your experience, or should I just suck it up, lug the big pump around and hope for the best?

• Lydia says:

I hope this reply catches you in time. I will be in a similar boat (plane, ha!) in February with my symphony. I have heard that Amazon.com sells adaptable batteries for the symphony that needs to be plugged in. You just plug it in to the battery pack and should not have an issue.

• rebecca says:

Thanks for the reply.

We went a few weeks ago. I ended up with power supply in my seat on board the flight on the outbound (American Airlines 737) and plugged in/pumped somewhere over Cuba. LOL. I did end up purchasing a back-up hand pump and brought that along, should all else fail. Even though I was pumping several times a day while we were there, my supply seriously dropped and my first pp period returned while on our trip. Awesome. Guess the body knows when you are away from baby! Crazy stuff.

Should mention we did get stopped/inspected by TSA at security, asking about the pump. FYI.

19. Jen says:

It looks like they can actually test the milk if you refuse xray? http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-kids/parents-page