This week, health professionals around the world are finding out the results of the IBLCE examination to become an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant. Let’s take a closer look at those five letters they’ll be adding to their credentials…
- International – Our profession is made up of over 25,000 IBCLCs helping mothers and families in over 90 countries, from Argentina to France to the United Arab Emirates, and in between.
- Board – A panel of global experts continues to develop curriculum and assessments to make sure we are trained and evaluated based on the latest scientific information in our field (and we are never “bored” because of this!).
- Certified – We successfully completed rigorous training and clinical requirements and have demonstrated the competencies determined by our Board (see above).
- Lactation – Finally, the word we’ve all been waiting for! We are passionate about the benefits of breastfeeding for the mother, her infant, and family.
- Consultant – We educate, advocate, and advise to help families reach their breastfeeding goals.