As someone who cares about national and global breastfeeding agendas, you are invited to an opportunity to hear from and be heard by those who share your challenges, hopes and aspirations. Join worldwide, national, and regional leaders in lactation as together we “bridge today’s vision with tomorrow’s reality” at the Second Annual Partner’s gathering. Influencing the Global Breastfeeding Agenda: A Workshop of the ILCA Global Partners Initiative will be held this July immediately preceding the ILCA 2016 conference and all are invited to attend, either in-person or via live-streaming.
The free workshop will kickoff with an opportunity to learn about the agendas of leading worldwide organizations, including:
- World Health Organization (WHO) technical officer Laurence Grummer-Strawn, MPA, MA, PhD
- World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) Co-Directors Amal Omer-Salim and Jay Sharma
- Breastfeeding Promotion Network of India (BPNI) Central Coordinator Dr. Arun Gupta
Participants will then be invited to work in small, action-oriented groups alongside the ILCA national and regional partners with the goal of:
- Identifying local and regional strengths and barriers to breastfeeding
- Expanding local and regional recognition of the IBCLC certification
- Growing the breastfeeding dialogue across sectors
- Identifying partner resources and collaboration opportunities
- Building capacity of skilled lactation care such as developing IBCLC mentoring programs
- Understanding regional BFHI practices, Code Monitoring and Compliance
- Exploring opportunities for the global partners network
Since the inception of the ILCA Global Partners Initiative, a number of global breastfeeding issues have surfaced among the partners. This workshop is a part of the growing momentum of the ILCA Global Partners Initiative, including on-going partner discussions and the addition of new partners from Saudi Arabia and South Africa.
The myriad of global challenges to breastfeeding did not happen overnight and they did not happen in isolation. This “unlearned behavior” has evolved from the conscious and unconscious collective efforts of many. It stands to reason; the remedy will come only through the deliberate collective actions of many, like you.
If you want to take an active role in shaping the future success of the global breastfeeding community, please join us for this special event in person, or through live streaming. ALL ARE INVITED TO JOIN.
WHAT: Second Annual Partners Meeting
WHEN: 13:00-16:00, Wednesday, 20 July 2016 (click HERE to see the time in your local time zone)
WHERE: Sheraton Chicago Hotel & Towers, Chicago, Illinois, USA
or Live Streaming (click HERE to register)
WHY: Impact global breastfeeding outcomes
- Welcome and Introductions – Decalie Brown, ILCA President (5 minutes)
- Overview – Michele Griswold, ILCA President-Elect (10 minutes)
- Brief History
- WHO – Larry Grummer-Strawn: “The Global Breastfeeding Agenda: Implementation at the National and Community Level” (15-20 minutes)
- WABA – Amal Omar-Salim and Jay Sharma: “Understanding the role of Civil Society Organisations in global breastfeeding advocacy” (15-20 minutes)
- BPNI – Arun Gupta: “World Breastfeeding Trends Initiative (WBTi) Findings” (15-20 minutes)
- Break – MILK Trailer (15 minutes)
- Panel Discussion (30 minutes)
- Group Breakout – Michele Griswold, ILCA President-Elect (10 minutes)
- Groups Discussions (40 minutes)
- Break (15 minutes)
- Group Presentations and discussion (30 minutes)
- Closing Comments: Next Steps – Michele Griswold, ILCA President-Elect (10 minutes)
- Closing – Decalie Brown, ILCA President (5 minutes)
Registration is NOT required for participating on site. Registration IS REQUIRED for live streaming.