ILCA would like to thank Michele Griswold, PhD, MPH, RN, IBCLC, for her service as the ILCA Advocacy Advisor to the Board of Directors. During her time in this new role for ILCA, she has helped to shape this position and has created a vision and strategy that will help advance breastfeeding worldwide and elevate the role of skilled lactation care. While we are deeply sad to see her go, we are thrilled to see her in her new position as Assistant Professor in the Department of Public Health at Southern Connecticut State University.
ILCA is seeking an Advocacy Advisor to the Board of Directors to lead the organization’s strategic advocacy plan.
Advocacy is a core tenet of ILCA’s mission and vision. Additionally, ILCA’s values of knowledge, diversity and equity serve as the basis for ILCA’s equity-focused evidence based advocacy strategic framework.
The person serving in the Advocacy Advisor role will be responsible for helping to operationalize ILCA’s leadership and participation on policies and actions including, but not limited to, Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative, The Code of Marketing of Breast Milk Substitutes, family-friendly policies, workplace initiatives, capacity-building of IBCLCs and skilled lactation professionals globally and promoting recognition of IBCLCs and other skilled support professionals as critical members of the health care team.
This is a leadership position that will report to ILCA’s Executive Director.
Core Responsibilities include:
- Design and implement strategic planning for ILCA’s advocacy agenda
- Oversee ILCA’s Global Advocacy Committee including United Nations liaisons
- Build global expertise teams surrounding ILCA’s advocacy issues
- Be a liaison between ILCA and ILCA’s global partnerships with WHO, UNICEF, WABA
- Represent ILCA to the Global Breastfeeding Collective, NetCode, Codex Alimentarus and others
- Represent ILCA at key strategic meetings globally
- Experience with advocacy at the local, regional, state, global level
- Demonstrated commitment to ILCA values of knowledge, diversity, equity
- Familiarity with core documents related to breastfeeding advocacy i.e. human rights, and the Code
- Leadership experience
- Strong English writing skills
- Demonstrated leadership within ILCA as an organization as evidenced by prior/current volunteer service
- Ability to communicate in more than one language
- A strong network of global professional alliances
- Excellent presentation skills
- Critical thinker
- Grant writing skills and experience/education in program planning, implementation, management, evaluation. Successful grant funding a plus!
This position may be remote. The successful candidate should have reliable access to internet etc. It is envisioned that the candidate will commit approximately 10-20 hrs/week which may vary with travel commitments. Salary is hourly and commensurate with experience.
Please send cover letter, resume/CV addressed to email@example.com, salary requirements, one letter of recommendation and the names and contact details of two additional recommenders who we may contact.