How can YOU support action steps to support breastfeeding for a healthier planet?
As a part of World Breastfeeding Week, World Alliance for Breastfeeding Action (WABA) has identified six action areas for creating change. We will share one with you for the next six days.
Day two action area: Ongoing support across the first 1000 days
Skilled lactation support should be organised, predictable, scheduled and ongoing to be most effective. All women/parents should be offered planned contact sessions during the antenatal and postnatal periods. Contact should be frequent in the early months, with a total of at least six contacts and support continued until the child is two years old.
What you can do*
- Advocate for ongoing antenatal and postnatal skilled lactation support to sustain optimal breastfeeding and chestfeeding.
- Create a warm chain of support for breastfeeding by identifying key actors and their roles in the first 1000 days and linking them to each other.
- Engage fathers/partners and family support to share domestic responsibilities and care for the breastfeeding dyad.
- Join a mother/parent support group and share experiences with others in the community to normalise breastfeeding.
- Develop creative ideas for virtual and online activities to engage target audiences in #WBW2020.
* How you can support these efforts depends on your role in the breastfeeding and chestfeeding community. If you are a policy maker, please consider these priorities. If you are not, please call on your local, regional, and national leaders to take action. Or consider becoming a policy leader yourself, by getting involved with your breastfeeding coalition, public health agency, or an elected office – we need your leadership at the highest possible level!
The 2020 World Breastfeeding Week (WBW) theme is Support breastfeeding for a healthier planet. This year’s theme celebrates the impact of infant feeding on the environment/climate change and the imperative to protect, promote and support breastfeeding for the health of the planet and its people. Join International Lactation Consultant Association® (ILCA®) and WABA in observing WBW 1-7 August 2020.