Every year, the Journal of Human Lactation (JHL) hosts a photo contest for the coveted cover spot on each edition. The JHL is a quarterly, peer-reviewed journal publishing original research, insights in practice and policy, commentaries, and case reports relating to research and practice in human lactation and breastfeeding. The annual photo contest is your opportunity to contribute to the journal and highlight your community. We’ve invited the JHL staff to tell us more about how you can join in the contest.
The four photos on JHL’s cover are changed annually. JHL is your journal, and we want to feature your photos! The four photos portray the broad field of human lactation, including the IBCLC helping new families (in a wide variety of scenarios), breastfeeding in various cultural contexts around the globe, and the science of lactation.
- Keep the photo simple: Focus on the subject while limiting background items and distractions.
- High Resolution and Size: Photos must meet the MINIMUM specifications of being a jpeg file, 300DPI; and at least 4″ tall and wide. Please do not send photos of lesser size and resolution. They cannot be used for print publication. Photos which do not meet these specifications can not be considered.
- Keep Cropping in Mind: For our cover, we must crop images to a square. Please either submit your photos in this manner or be aware of how this cropping could impact your photo. Photos which can not be cropped to a square can not be considered.
- Photo Consent: If a recognizable person is in the photo (e.g., the face of a mother/baby/clinician etc.), you must include a signed photo consent form with your submission. If your photo is a contender for publication, we will require these subjects to sign a specific consent form, so only send photos if you know you can obtain permission from the subject(s).
- Deadline – 15 October 2016: NO EXCEPTIONS
- Email your photos to email@example.com.
- Include your name, and if you are not the photographer, the name of the photographer, full contact information.
- You will receive an auto response email to confirm your submission.
- The photographer you will need to sign a non-exclusive copyright agreement – in other words, allowing JHL to use the photo but not limiting the photographer’s use of the image.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.