The International Lactation Consultant Association® (ILCA®) is proud to announce the release of “Practices to Increase Exclusive Breastfeeding: Core Concepts eCourse”, which we have co-produced along with InJoy Birth and Parenting Education. As part of our value to “uphold high standards of professional practice,” we believe that access to quality, standardized education for health professionals is key. This goes hand in hand with our vision of “world health transformed through breastfeeding and skilled lactation care.”
It is no surprise to anyone in the field that training is lacking for healthcare workers in the science and art of lactation and supporting breastfeeding families. InJoy and ILCA have sought to address the challenge with this eCourse, available completely online.
Hospitals who license the course will also find ideas for additional related group activities in the Facilitator’s Guide. It was designed to provide education to in-hospital maternity care staff and highlights both 10 Steps of the the 10 Steps of the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative as well as the impact of birthing and postnatal practices on breastfeeding.
For more information and to learn more about how this course might be valuable to you (including the option to view Module 2 in its entirety), please click HERE.
Want to see a sample video?
Check out this one which shows maternity staff how to accommodate skin-to-skin care immediately after birth.
We would love for you to consider this product in two ways:
1. If you work for a hospital or health care facility serving women through childbirth, please share the information about this product with your supervisor or education department.
2. If you are an IBCLC seeking to build your knowledge about the impact of birthing practices and how to support breastfeeding in the early days, consider purchasing the single-user version of this product. For just $35 USD, you will have full access to video, practice tools, handouts, all in an interactive learning environment. Upon completion, you will be eligible for continuing education units, awarded by ILCA. Additional fees apply.
Essential topics covered in the four 20-minute modules:
- “The Ten Steps” overview, team strategies, and effectively communicating to mothers
- How to implement skin-to-skin care after vaginal and cesarean births
- How to teach and assess hunger signs, latch, and infant sucking patterns
- How and when to help mothers express milk mechanically or by hand
The eCourse includes:
- Instructive, real-world video examples showing nurses using proven techniques
- Downloadable practice tools and patient handouts that allow nurses to apply newly-learned concepts right away
- Engaging case studies, interactive exercises, and quizzes
- Facilitator’s Guide with ideas for in-service group sessions
- 1.5 CE credit hours available from ILCA (fees apply)